Top 10 Free Christmas Activities (+ Free Christmas Nativity Activity Pack!)
The Fervent Mama uses Affiliate Links. See our disclosure policy here.
This holiday season, don’t stress about what to do with the kids. We found some of the best quick and easy free Christmas activities and ideas to keep your kids in the holiday spirit.
Christmas can be expensive, so we’ve curated Christmas activities that are free or low cost. It is a time for families to spend time together while creating memories together! There are plenty of activities that the family can do together, like cooking, crafting, games, puzzles, and coloring pages.
And, since the holidays are just around the corner, that means our free Christmas Nativity Activity Pack is here! Christmas is the time of year when nativity scenes are set up around Christmas trees, people go caroling, and family members spend quality time together.
10 Nearly-Free Christmas Activities To Do This Holiday Season
Below are 10 ideas for activities that you can do with your kids this Christmas season. While most of them are free, or nearly free, because you can complete them with items you already have in your home.
However, we’ve included some helpful links that will give you some “cheaper” holiday craft joy too. Just in case you need a few filler items. 🙂
1. Make a gingerbread house.
You can purchase pre-made kits or make your own. The Christmas tree is a perfect place to display it! Decorate the house with holiday lights and baubles while listening to holiday carols playing in the background.
- Gingerbread playset features gum drops, frosting swirls, peppermints, candy canes and more!
- Holiday wreath lights up to really add some holiday flair!
- Playset features your very own gingerbread man with a realistic cookie decal
- Gingerbread house assembly helps to improve fine motor skills as well as eye-hand coordination
- When the holidays are over, easily store all decorating pieces inside of the gingerbread house
- Kids can mix and match the gumdrops to create multiple designs without ever having to worry about it
- Gather the family and build fun memories with a delightful lego brick gingerbread house that makes a
- Build a gingerbread house with frosted roofs, colorful candy buttons, candy-cane columns and walking
- Includes sweet gingerbread man, woman and baby figures, candy furniture, a baby carriage, snow blowe
- The lego creator expert gingerbread house is a set that the whole family will love as well as a fun
- The lego creator expert gingerbread house measures over 8 (21cm) high, 10 (26cm) wide and 5 (13cm) d
- Traditional gingerbread house: have fun decorating this festive gingerbread house! has tons of decor
- Complete decorating kit: the kit contains everything you need for decorating including assembled hou
- Pre-baked & pre-assembled: we made it easier for you. no need to roll, cut, bake, or even glue house
- Host a gingerbread party: invite your kids, friends, grandparents, nieces, nephews and the rest of t
- Festive design ideas: colorful packaging & included instruction sheet guides you through 2 different
2. Decorate the tree with family members.
Make ornaments, garlands, and bows together. If you don’t have a real one, make your own out of materials like paper pulp, dough, and recycled paper. You can even make paper snowflakes for all of your windows and mirrors.
3. Watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.
A Christmas classic! Charlie Brown and his friends prepare a Christmas show with a Christmas tree, holiday music, songs and carols, decorations, presents, and food. You can find it on DVD or streaming online. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the gang will get you in the holiday mood!
4. Decorate ornaments with glitter glue or stickers.
Get glitter glue around the holidays to decorate ornaments! You can purchase themed stickers or googly eyes to make your tree even more festive!
You can also use glitter glue on holiday cards that you are sending out this season. Just remember not to put it on before December 20th because if there’s glitter in the glue, then it’s considered hazardous material and cannot be sent via mail until Christmas is over!
- Includes - 30pcs blank wood circles and 30pcs jute twines, enough for any craft project you have goi
- Material - the christmas hanging tags are made of from premium quality natural wood, laser cut and p
- Occasions - perfect for christmas, wedding, baby shower, birthday, new year, etc. the round wood dis
- Easy to use - easy to write or paint. every wooden slice features a small hole which can be threaded
- Diy crafts - ideal for diy hand paintings, christmas signs, gift tags, handwriting tags, letterings,
- High quality wood christmas ornaments: made of premium quality natural wood, laser cut and polished.
- Wide application: suitable for christmas, wedding, birthday, holiday, new year in making christmas t
- Interesting diy: you can use your imagination to personalize these pieces. each piece of wood and be
- Package includes: 40pcs unfinished wood ornaments in 4 various styles with 40pcs white waxed ropes a
- Wood christmas ornaments for crafts: christmas wood craft is best for christmas decorations, you can
- Ideal size:each pack includes 40 pcs plastic ball ornaments in total with 4 different sizes:10 pcs d
- Unique design:our fillable ornaments balls are extremely easy to use thanks to their unique design.e
- Relable quality:these fillable christmas ornaments balls are made of strong and durable plastic (foo
- Fun diy crafts:decorate these clear ornaments balls as you please,fill with ribbons,candy,decorative
- Reuasble:plastic ornament balls are suitable for christmas,birthday,celebrations,parties decor,also
5. Play in the snow (if applicable) or make indoor “snow time” fun.
Build snowmen, make snow angels and have a snowball fight. If you don’t live where it snows, try making an indoor snowman amongst other games, such as making some snowflakes with cotton balls.
Have your children help decorate them with glitter glue, markers, etc. Once they are dry you can hang them from your tree or windows!
If you don’t have snow, you can read our 50 Exciting Outdoor Winter Activities For Kids – Without Snow!
Additionally, as you set up a “snow scene” indoors, you and the kids can also do the free Christmas nativity activity pack we have for you to download!
6. Go A’Caroling.
Christmas Caroling is not just for grownups! Invite friends or family members to carol with your kids. Singing and caroling is not only fun but it’s free! We love holiday songs and seasonal classics, so you can sing along to “Jingle Bells,” “Silent Night,” and other favorites while walking door-to-door.
Get in the holiday spirit by decorating yourself like a Christmas tree with wreaths on your head or wearing tinsel in your hair. Caroling is a great way to spread festive cheer and meet new neighbors!
7. Make some Christmas cookies.
Christmas trees make great Christmas cookies. You can also bake ornaments and gingerbread men as festive treats! Cookies are holiday classics that little ones will love to eat while they help bake them.
Make themed cookie ornaments by hanging a piece of the dough on string from your xmas tree!To add some fun, have each family member decorate their own batch with sprinkles and other edible decorations.
8. Take a family photo in front of the Christmas tree.
The holiday season is the perfect time to take family pictures! Holiday family cards are some of the most popular festive traditions, so make sure you get a nice photo this year. You can also include your pets in some photos (if they will sit still for it!).
One idea is to get festive with Santa hats while getting ready for holiday portraits! Wrap up your photoshoot with some holiday cookies and hot cocoa! If you don’t have a xmas tree in front of which to take pictures of, try decorating one indoors instead!
9. Make your own wrapping paper.
This is one of the free Christmas activities I especially love! There are a few fun ways to make your own wrapping paper for presents! Make it with paint, crayons and old magazines (poster prints work well too!).
You can also cut out holiday-related shapes from old magazines and paint them with Christmas colors. Or cut out traditional holiday shapes (like stars, stockings or socks, etc.) from old holiday cards, gift bags, or tissue paper and use them as wrapping for the gifts that you are giving this holiday season!
Use fun craft materials like glitter glue, googly eyes or stickers on your homemade xmas wrappings for added flair!
10. Invite friends over for a holiday movie marathon!
Invite your friends or family members over to watch the holiday classics. If you don’t have a lot of time together, pick one holiday movie and turn it into an all-day event!
Some good movies to try this season are “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” “How The Grinch Stole Christmas,” and “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.” Holiday movie marathons are a great way to enjoy this season with your family and friends!
And snacks are always welcome to make it more festive and fun!
Bonus Activity! Set up and create a nativity scene together!
Kids can use a nativity scene set to create their own holiday story. They can tell the story of Jesus’ birth and creation of the season themselves, by using their imagination and creativity. Children can get involved with the nativity scene by dressing up as their favorite character.
There are few nativity sets to choose from. A few of my own, and a quick Amazon search, will show you:
CREATE A MAGICAL HOLIDAY SEASON FOR YOUR LOVED ONES with the Lovepop Nativity Advent Calendar. Features 25 pouches containing 32 paper pop up sculptures that open in your hand.
WATCH THE STORY UNFOLD: Open each pouch on the corresponding day starting with "Day 1" on December 1st to reveal new characters and destinations in this retelling of The Nativity.
Bible Toys Nativity Set - Christmas Story Manger Scene, 18 Pieces With Birth of Baby Jesus Mini-Stor
- Nativity Playset for Children - Share the spirit of the Christmas season & reenact the Nativity Story at ease. Set includes a Birth of Baby Jesus mini-storybook. For Kids and Children 3+
- Children can make this story come to life with our interactive Nativity play set for the fascinating Tale of Glory
- Includes 18 colorful pieces and mini storybook to create the Nativity scene – everything you need to help kids bring the joy of Christmas to life – a perfect first nativity set
- A perfect first nativity for little ones to place, play with, and treasure for years
- Includes an easy-to-assemble 4-piece stable and 11 wooden figures
- Durable pieces encourage a hands-on holiday experience
- Sturdy wooden construction
- Includes a retelling of the Christmas story to help create a treasured family tradition. Ages 4 years and up
If you don’t like those, don’t forget to check out our post for 20 of The Best Kids Nativity Sets!
About the Free Christmas Nativity Activity Pack– here’s what’s included:
- Nativity Word Search
- Nativity Cross Word
- Nativity Word Scramble
- Nativity Coloring Pages
- Nativity Bingo
- Nativity Drawing Prompt
This year, have your kids learn more about the story of Jesus’ birth while doing nativity festivities and coloring beautiful pictures. This festive nativity activity pack includes fun printable games like nativity coloring pages, word searches, bingo cards and more!
You can use this easy activity printable that will keep them occupied while you’re off making sure laundry is done, dishes are clean, and food is made! Or, you can use the activity pack if you want a break from shopping and cooking this holiday season!
It’s also great if you’re looking to keep your little ones entertained during the holiday season.
Top 10 Free Christmas Activities (+ Free Christmas Nativity Activity Pack!)
The holidays are here and before you can say “I’m bored,” it will be over. But there are plenty of ways to keep the festive spirit alive with these 10 Christmas ideas for kids.
And don’t forget to download your free Nativity Activity Pack that includes nativity coloring pages, word searches, crossword, word scrambles, bingo cards and much more!